Most career federal employees are eligible for retirement under either the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS), the CSRS Offset program or the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). Each system has different eligibility requirements and retirement options. A summary of eligibility can be found at https://www.opm.gov/retire/html/faqs/faq11.asp.
All employees are encouraged to learn about their retirement program and options early in their career. Details on CSRS can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/RI83-1.pdf, CSRS Offset at: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/RI83-19.pdf and FERS at: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/RI90-1.pdf.
There are multiple tools available to project retirement annuities, including:
- https://www.employeeexpress.gov/ - under the “Related Sites” on the bottom right hand side of the page, see “Federal Employee Benefit Statements”
Additionally, the Service offers a Financial Planning Service reimbursement program. This program provides reimbursement to employees for the costs of personal financial planning services. Details on the program can be found at: http://www.fws.gov/policy/228fw4.html.
If you are thinking of retiring within the next year, please review OPM’s information at: https://www.opm.gov/retire/html/faqs/faq10.asp, and contact Kathy Cannavino in the HR office for individual retirement counseling.
Additional Information on retirement topics can be found at:
- OPM’s Retirement Homepage: https://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
- Social Security Administration: http://www.ssa.gov/
- Thrift Savings Plan: http://www.tsp.gov/
- Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance: https://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
- CSRS Application for Immediate Retirement
- FERS Application for Immediate Retirement
- TSP Request for Full Withdrawal
- TSP Request for Partial Withdrawal When Separated
- Request for TSP Materials for Separated Participant
- Applying for Social Security Benefits
- Continuation of Life Insurance
Please contact your servicing HR office for questions or concerns. Region 9 and Washington Office employees should contact Kathy Cannavino at 703-358-2576.