Where can I go for hunting or fishing license?

  The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service does not issue hunting and fishing licenses. They are issued through State natural resource agencies, which are separate from the USFWS.

Hunting and fishing licenses can generally be purchased at any retail outlet that deals in hunting and fishing equipments, such as sporting goods stores. Regulations booklets, Federal Duck Stamps, and season/harvest information can usually be obtained through those retailers.

In addition to licensing, State agencies have jurisdiction over the following:

  • Hunting and fishing regulations such as open seasons and bag limits. Specific dates and regulations can be found through the link to State agencies.
  • Animal control and management of non-endangered wildlife species;
  • management of State parks, forests and recreation areas; and
  • game warden information.

Note to Migratory Waterfowl Hunters:

In order to hunt migratory waterfowl you must possess both a State hunting license and a Federal Duck Stamp. Some states also require you to purchase a State waterfowl hunting stamp. Duck Stamps can be purchased at any retail outlet that sells hunting and fishing equipment, such as sporting goods stores, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc. Duck Stamps can also be ordered online, or by calling either (800) DUCK499 or (800) STAMP24. Further information can be found through the Federal Duck Stamp Office home page.