Calendar of Events
Best months to visit are November through March. Worst months are June through August (hot with an abundance of biting insects).
- December/January: Conditions are best for observing waterfowl and eagles.
- March/April: Public fishing starts on March 1. Hawks and owls begin mating and nesting activities. Spring songbird migration at its peak.
- May: Migratory Bird Day.
- June: white-tailed deer fawns and turkey poults may be seen.
- July: scissor-tailed flycatchers can be seen throughout the refuge.
- August: blue-winged teal begin to arrive.
- September: other waterfowl species begin to arrive.
- October: archery deer hunting, National Wildlife Refuge Week.
- November: many species of waterfowl present, Canada and snow geese becoming abundant.