Wildlife & Habitat Management
Refuge Objectives: These are the underlying management goals for the refuge.
- Provide habitat and protection for migratory birds.
- Provide protection and habitat to promote resident and migratory wildlife diversity.
- Provide protection and management for endangered and threatened plant and animal species (American wood stork).
- Provide protection and management necessary to sustain and promote colonial nesting bird populations that use the refuge.
- Provide wildlife education and interpretation and recreational opportunities to the visiting public.
Management Tools: These are the tools refuge staff use to accomplish these goals.
- Water level management for waterfowl, shorebirds, wood storks and other wading birds.
- Mowing and discing.
- Prescribed fire.
- Mechanical and chemical control of noxious plants.
- Timber cutting.
- Public hunting for deer population management.
- Law enforcement