Facebook icon Twitter icon Flicker icon You Tube icon

Director's Corner

Dan Ashe served as FWS Director from June 2011 until January 2017. The following is an archive of blogs authored by Director Ashe during that time. This content is intended for historical reference only and not as a representation of current Service policy or opinion.

Through Forests and Airports: A Window into My Life

Last week was busy.

Monday it was President’s Day, a national holiday.  I left home at 2pm, for Dulles airport and a flight to Medford, Oregon.

On Tuesday, I joined Secretary Salazar in Medford to visit a BLM ecological forestry pilot project.  We saw first-hand how FWS, NMFS, BLM and USFS are working together to define a new generation of forest management, generating timber and jobs, but leaving a healthy forest.  The project has great potential to create a forest that is less susceptible to disease and wildfire, and better able to provide habitat for species like the northern spotted owl.

FWS work on the owl recovery plan and critical habitat are supporting movement in this direction, and I was proud to see our people standing shoulder-to-shoulder with their counterparts in BLM and USFS.  They are working toward a new future in the northwest forests.  A future that is not defined by conflict and litigation, but by cooperation and progress toward a vision of healthy forests and sustainable economies and ecology.

After the productive experience in Medford, things became a bit hectic. 

To give you a window into my life, I was scheduled to leave Tuesday afternoon, and head to Alaska for a visit to Izembek National Wildlife Refuge.  But, Tuesday morning, I was informed that I needed to head, instead, for Los Angeles for a Thursday morning press conference on Rhinoceros.  So, Tuesday afternoon, I flew to Seattle to connect with a flight headed down to LA.  My wife had worked with my office to arrange for a suit, tie, shoes, socks and belt to meet me there, as I hadn’t planned to need them in Alaska.

But alas, when I landed in Seattle, I had several voice messages notifying that the Los Angeles press conference was off, and I should head to Alaska.  While at the airline desk trying to recover my reservation to Anchorage, I got a call from Alaska Regional Director Geoff Haskett. My flight to Cold Bay had been canceled, and now all the flights were full.

At that point, even if I got to Anchorage, I wouldn’t be able to get to the refuge.  So, I changed plans again, spent a wonderful evening in the Seattle-Tacoma airport, and caught a red-eye back to Dulles.

Welcome to my world.

Needless to say I made it back to DC in one piece. All’s well that ends well.


Untitled Document