Chesapeake Bay Field Office
Northeast Region


Student planting grass

Use this list to go directly to the Maryland county contact

Back to Schoolyard Habitat


Schoolyard Habitat: Finding help with your project
Most successful schoolyard habitat programs have strong support from citizens, businesses, organizations and government agencies. Community support comes in many forms including funding, technical help, equipment, expert labor, materials and more. This list provides ideas of where to ask for help in your community. The links page provides several additional agency and organization contacts.

National/General Sources: The following agencies, organizations, businesses and general contacts can help schools with habitat/outdoor projects.

Businesses. Local businesses have been very supportive of habitat/outdoor projects. A few examples of businesses that have helped schools with these projects include: Construction contractors (Excavation contractors can be especially helpful with wetland projects), environmental consultants, food establishments, hardware stores and home centers, landscape contractors, landscape architects, nurseries and others.

Civic Organizations. Many of these groups become enthusiastically involved and provide funds or expertise/labor when invited to participate in school projects.

Cooperative Extension Service. An office can be found most counties. They have several programs that may fit with your schoolyard project including Master Gardener and Master Composter Programs.

County/City Departments of Stormwater Management/Public Works. These agencies can sometimes provide technical assistance, engineering design and construction help with stormwater/wetland, stream or erosion control projects.

Local Government. Mayors, town managers and other local politicians can be very helpful with these projects.

Nature/Outdoor Education Centers or Parks. Naturalist and other staff at these centers can provide a wide range of technical help.

School System facilities/maintenance departments. The type of assistance varies widely between counties. It is important to invite these departments to participate.

Soil Conservation Districts/ Natural Resource Conservation Service. They provide advice/ engineering design for wetlands, ponds, stream projects, erosion projects and more. Find your local office here.

State Natural Resource Agencies. These agencies have wildlife biologists, foresters and other natural resource professionals that can provide advice to schools.

Universities. Investigate opportunities for assistance in the following programs: biology, botany, horticulture, education, landscape architecture, college student community service programs and others.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program. Most state offices have a “Partners” program and while each office has slightly different priorities, many can assist schools with wetland, stream, riparian or grassland habitat projects. Contact your local office. Click here to find your local office.

Watershed Associations. Local watershed associations often help school with habitat restoration projects.

We want your help to improve this list. To edit, delete or add to this list, please email your name, agency/organization, phone number, email address and the type of assistance you can provide to schools. Please indicate if the listing is statewide or for a county. We also encourage interested citizens that are not affiliated with an agency or group to be listed.

Chesapeake Bay Foundation. Contact the education staff for more information. Phone: 410-268-8833.

Forest Conservancy District Boards. County boards provide funds for school reforestation/tree planting projects. Certain boards, such as Baltimore, have very active programs to assist schools. Contact your local DNR Forest Service for the phone number of the chairperson or go to:

Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Forest Service. For the phone number,
see below under county listing or click here:

Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Division. Wildlife biologists can help with forest, grassland, wetland and stream habitat projects. Call for your local contact.

Bel Air: 410-836-4557
Salisbury: 410-543-6595
Annapolis: 410-260-8540
Cumberland: 301-777-2136

Maryland State Department of Education

Branch of Arts and Sciences. Provides advice on projects related to student performance and assessment. 410-767-0324

Branch of School Facilities. Provides advice on school construction projects and how they may relate to your habitat efforts. 410-767-0098
Natural Resource Conservation Service/ Soil Conservation Districts. See above under national sources for a listing.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program. The program can provide technical advice on forest, grassland, wetland and stream habitat projects. Email with your request.

County Listing
Coop. Ext.= Maryland Cooperative Extension Service
DNR Forestry=Maryland Department of Natural Resources- Forest Service
SCD/NRCS= Soil Conservation District/Natural Resource Conservation Service

Coop. Ext: 301-724-3320
DNR Forestry: 301-777-2027
SCD/NRCS: 301-777-1747, 301-777-1494

Anne Arundel
Arlington Echo Outdoor School
Coop. Ext: 410-222-6758
DNR Forestry: 410-768-0830
SCD/NRCS: 410-222-7822, 410-571-6757

Baltimore City
Coop. Ext: 410-396-1753

Coop. Ext: 410-666-1022
DNR Forestry: 410-665-5820
SCD/NRCS: 410-666-1188

Chespax: 410-535-7247
Coop. Ext: 410-535-3662
DNR Forestry: 410-535-1303
SCD/NRCS: 410-535-1521, 410-535-1521

Coop. Ext: 410-479-4030
DNR Forestry: 410-479-1623, 410-822-1800
SCD/NRCS: 410-479-1202

Coop. Ext: 410-386-2760
DNR Forestry: 410-848-3291, 410-848-9450
Hashawa Outdoor School: Provides assistance to schools with habitat projects/curriculum and conducts summer teacher workshops.
Phone 410-857-7935.
SCD/NRCS: 410-848-6966Cecil
Coop. Ext: 410-996-5280
DNR Forestry: 410-287-5777
SCD/NRCS: 410-398-4411

Coop. Ext: 301-934-5403
DNR Forestry: 301-934-2543
SCD/NRCS: 301-934-9588

Coop. Ext: 410-228-8800
DNR Forestry: 410-228-1861
SCD/NRCS: 410-228-3733, 410-228-5640

Coop. Ext: 301-694-1594
DNR Forestry: 301-473-8417, 301-473-4570
SCD/NRCS: 301-695-2803

Coop. Ext: 301-334-6960
DNR Forestry: 301-334-3296
School System facilities dept. This office actively promotes naturalizing portions of schoolyards.
SCD/NRCS: 301-334-6950

Coop. Ext: 410-638-3255
Harford Glen Environmental Education Center 410-638-3903.
SCD/NRCS: 410-838-6181
DNR Forestry: 410-836-4551Howard
Coop. Ext: 410-313-2702
DNR Forestry: 301-854-6060, 410-442-2080
SCD/NRCS: 410-465-3180

Coop. Ext: 410-778-1661
DNR Forestry: 410-758-5254
SCD/NRCS: 410-543-6745, 410-778-5353

Coop. Ext: 301-590-9638
DNR Forestry: 301-854-6060, 410-442-2080
SCD/NRCS: 301-590-2855
Smith Center: 301-924-3123

Prince George’s
Coop. Ext: 301-868-9366
DNR Forestry: 301-464-3065
SCD/NRCS: 301-574-5162

Queen Anne’s
Coop. Ext: 410-758-0166
DNR Forestry: 410-758-5254
SCD/NRCS: 410-758-3136, 410-758-1380

St. Mary’s
Coop. Ext: 301-475-4482
DNR Forestry: 301-475-8551
SCD/NRCS: 301-475-8402

Coop. Ext: 410-651-1350
DNR Forestry: 410-651-2004
SCD/NRCS: 410-651-0390, 410-651-0370

Coop. Ext: 410-822-1244
SCD/NRCS: 410-822-1344
DNR Forestry: 410-479-1623, 410-822-1800

Coop. Ext: 301-791-1304
DNR Forestry: 301-791-4733
SCD/NRCS: 301-797-6821, 301-797-6820

Coop. Ext: 410-749-6141
DNR Forestry: 410-543-1950
SCD/NRCS: 410-742-8373, 410-546-4777

Coop. Ext: 410-632-1972
DNR Forestry: 410-749-2206
SCD/NRCS: 410-632-5439

Go back to the top.


Worcester Wicomico Washington Talbot Somerset St. Mary's Queen Anne Princes George's Montgomery Kent Harford Garrett Frederick Dorchester Charles Carroll Caroline Calvert Baltimore County Baltimore City Anne Arundel Allegany
Last updated: January 6, 2011