Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge Southeast Region
Map of the Southeast Region Map of Kentucky Map of the Caribbean and Navassa Map of North Carolina Map of Tennessee Map of South Carolina Map of Arkansas Map of Louisiana Map of Mississippi Map of Alabama Map of Georgia Map of Florida

Special Use Permit


Because of strict requirements concerning public use on National Wildlife Refuges, all commercial and certain other activities such as research require special permission. Depending on type of activity, a permit fee may be accessed.

Some examples of activities requiring permits include:

  • Use of Refuge resources for Commercial/Retail purposes
  • Filming/videotaping (any non-amateur work)
  • Wildlife or general photography (for publications or retail)
  • Seining or any collection of plants, animals, soil, or water (includes collecting for off-refuge or on-refuge use)
  • Any after-hours use
  • Any activities in areas not open to the visiting public
  • All research
  • Commercial entities operating within Refuge boundaries.

To Request a Special Use Permit:

The permit must be requested at least 30 days in advance of planned activity.

The request must include:

  • Who is requesting the permit?
  • What is the nature of the proposed activity?
  • Why is it being conducted?
  • Where the activity will take place?
  • When the activity will take place?
  • How the activity will be conducted?

Permit requests must be in writing, on letterhead if possible, and addressed to:

Special Use Permits,
Chassahowitzka NWR Complex
1502 SE Kings Bay Drive
Crystal River, FL 34429

For more information:

Contact: Chassahowitzka NWR Complex at (352) 563-2088

Last updated: July 10, 2012
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Home Page | Department of the Interior  |  | About the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service  | Accessibility  | Privacy  | Notices  | Disclaimer  | FOIA