PFW Factsheets & FAQ

PFW Factsheets & Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ - Click the question to jump to the answer



  • Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program -PDF
  • When to use Partners for Fish and Wlidlife - PDF
  • Partners/EQIP Comparable Practices - PDF
  • Arkansas Strategic Plan - PDF
  • Partners for Conservation - PDF
  • Arkansas Private Lands Programs - PDF
  • Conservation through the Farm Bill Arkansas - PDF
  • Continuous Conservation Reserve Program Payment Rates - PDF
  • CRP County Statewide Rates-Pastures - PDF


  • What is Partners for Fish and Wildlife?

The Partners for Fish and Wildlife program is a voluntary cost share program that restores, improves, and protects fish and wildlife habitat on private lands through alliances between the US Fish and Wildlife Service, other organizations, and individuals, while leaving the land in private ownership.

  • Can I be a partner?

Anyone interested in restoring and protecting wildlife habitat on private or tribal lands can be a partner.  Our partners include private landowners, local and county agencies, municipalities, Native American Tribes, private/non-profit organizations, corporations, schools, and others. 

  • How do I become a partner?

Contact the Partners Program staff for proposal guidance.  Project proposals may be submitted throughout the year. The Partners Program generally receives funding once each year. We make funding decisions when complete proposals are received and evaluated, based on available funding at that time. We are available to answer questions, discuss potential projects, provide technical assistance, visit your property, and help develop a complete project design for funding consideration.

  • Are my lands eligible for restoration or enhancement under the Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program?

Any privately-owned land is potentially eligible for the Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program. Federal and State owned lands are not eligible.

  • Who does the restoration?

 There are three options for completing restoration:
1) The landowner restores the land or hires a contractor and is reimbursed directly for some or all expenses;

2) The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) hires a contractor to do the work;


3) Service employees can assist with on-the-ground work. (e.g., tree planting).

  • What is the cost share rate?

The national goal is to achieve a cost share rate of 50 percent; however, the Service could provide up to 100 percent of the cost under special circumstances.   In-kind services, such as labor, equipment use, and materials, can qualify as cost share, as well as landowner funds.  The Partners Program works with other Federal, State, and local agencies, and private/non-profit organizations, whenever possible to leverage funding and in-kind assistance. Frequently, these partnerships result in more restoration activities and more acres or miles improved per project.

  • What is a Wildlife Cooperative Extension Agreement?

 Before beginning a habitat improvement project, the Service and the individual landowner (Cooperator) must sign a Wildlife Cooperative Extension Agreement (WCEA).  This WCEA states that the landowner will not return the project area to its former use, or alter or remove any project components (e.g., native vegetation, fences) for the specified term of the agreement.  The term of the WCEA is a minimum of 10 years.  If the Cooperator wants to cancel the agreement, then he or she must reimburse the Service, on a pro-rated basis, for the Service funds expended on the project.  

  • How do I receive the money for the project?

Cooperators on Partners for Fish and Wildlife projects may be reimbursed projects for authorized expenses by one of two ways. If the cooperator has enrolled in the Service’s automated payment system (ASAP) he or she may draw project funds as needed.  If not enrolled, the cooperator submits receipts and an request for reimbursement to the Project Manager and the funds are electronically deposited into an account authorized by the Cooperator/Recipient. 

  • How does the Service decide which projects are highest priority?

The Service focuses on projects in ecosystems and watersheds where conservation efforts will provide the greatest benefit for Federal trust species, such as migratory birds, declining species, and Federal and State listed threatened, endangered, and candidate species. Five geographical areas within the State have been identified to receive priority ranking for well-qualified projects (See map).  

The Service also gives special consideration to projects that:

1) Are on permanently protected private lands;

2) Are identified as high priority by State fish and wildlife agencies, Tribes, and other partners;

3) Are located near National Wildlife Refuges;

4) Reduce habitat fragmentation;

5) Conserve or restore natural communities that the State Natural Heritage Programs or Heritage Data Bases have designated as globally or nationally imperiled;

6) Are self-sustaining systems that are not dependent on artificial structures; and/or

7) Help to educate the public on ecosystems and their species.

  • If my property is not within the focus areas should I still apply?

YES, we will always consider all well-qualified habitat improvement projects throughout the State, especially projects that have exceptional benefits for Federal trust species.

  • What other issues must I consider or permits do I need when deciding to restore or enhance fish and/or wildlife habitat on my land?

A Partners biologist can help you determine what type of permits and clearances might be required for your potential project.  If you receive funding from the Partners Program, you must obtain all required Federal, State, or local permits prior to beginning work on the project.

  • When will the work be started?

You must receive a final copy of your Wildlife Cooperative Extension Agreement, signed by both you, the landowner (Cooperator/Recipient), and by the Service before you can begin work on the project.  If you incur any project-related expenses before you have an agreement signed by the Service, you cannot be reimbursed for those expenses by the Service.  Our staff will provide guidance to you for all necessary forms and procedures.

  • When must work start and be completed?

Cooperators/Recipients are required to begin the project within the time frame defined in the agreement. The time can be extended for justifiable delays by modifying the agreement.

  • If I sign an agreement do I have to allow public access on my land?

No. Restoring habitat with the Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program does not mean that you have to allow public access on your land. Service employees occasionally need access to the project area to check on its progress and monitor its success. We will contact you to arrange these visits.



Arkansas Field Office
110 S. Amity Road
Suite 300
Conway, AR 72032

501/513 4470 (v)
501/513 4480 (f)

Last Updated: December 10, 2015

DOI |USFWS | USA.gov | Privacy | FOIA | Webmaster

FWS Southeast Region