Realty & Natural Resources
Alaska Region   

Refuge Rights-of-Way & Easements

Right-of-way permits grant legal rights to use lands owned by another for specific purposes usually for definite periods of time. The Fish and Wildlife Service grants right-of-way permits under the authority of the National Wildlife Refuge System Administration Act of 1966, as amended by the National Wildlife Refuge System Improvement Act of 1997, and the Alaska National Interests Lands Conservation Act of 1980 (ANILCA).

Most Fish and Wildlife Service right-of-way permits in Alaska are for transportation and utility systems and are issued according to the procedures of Title XI of ANILCA in conjunction with the requirements of the National Wildlife Refuge System Act. However, some right-of-way permits, such as those for research or educational sites, are issued solely according to the National Wildlife Refuge System Act.

Additional access issues involving National Wildlife Refuge System lands include Alaska Natives Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) public easements and revised statutes 2477 state public highway rights-of-way.

The following links highlight the key features of the right-of-way permitting process and other means of access.

Last updated: August 26, 2008

Realty & Natural Resources
Alaska National Wildlife Refuge Home
Alaska Region Home