Endangered Species
Alaska Region   


Threatened and Endangered Species Permits

The ESA requires that permits be issued for activities that may result in "take" of threatened or endangered species. We issue the following types of permits:

Recovery and Interstate Commerce Permits For scientific research involving a listed species, or activities to enhance a listed species propagation or survival, a Section 10(a)(1)(A) permit is required. Examples include, but are not limited to: abundance surveys, genetic research, relocations, capture and marking, and telemetric monitoring. A permit may also be required to possess tissues and/or body parts of listed species.

For Recovery Permits and Interstate Commerce Permits, use this form

Incidental Take Permits
If you are engaged in an otherwise lawful activity where there’s a possibility of incidental “take” and the purpose of your activity is not scientific research or enhancement of a listed species, you may need to obtain a Section 10(a)(1)(B) Incidental Take Permit.

Under the ESA we cannot authorize incidental take for marine mammals, unless authorized under Marine Mammal Protection Act.  For more information click here.

Habitat Conservation Plans (HCPs) are planning documents required as part of an application for an incidental take permit.  They provide a way for our non-Federal partners to conserve ecosystems upon which listed species depend.  No HCPs have been created in Alaska. 

Examples of activities that may require an Incidental Take Permit include, but are not limited to: construction and/or development activities or in-stream or watershed activities that may cause take of listed species.

Apply for an incidental take permit

For general information about these permits and points of contact, see our fact sheet "Permits for Native Species Under the Endangered Species Act"


Last updated: February 10, 2012