Mississippi Ecological Services Field Office
Southeast Region


Questions and Answers

Biologist holding endangered mussel from Mississippi River An example of a trust resource: biologist with endangered fat pocketbook mussel.

Credit: Paul Hartfield, USFWS

What is the mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service?

The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants, and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.


What does Ecological Services do?

The Ecological Services program encompasses five major activities:

(1) Habitat Conservation - involves assisting various federal agencies in analyzing impacts to fish and wildlife resources of the projects that they either perform, permit, license, or fund.

(2) Endangered Species - involves listing species under the Endangered Species Act, encouraging the recovery of species listed and assisting federal agencies in complying with the Act.

(3) Environmental Contaminants - involves the identification and prevention of harm to trust resources caused by environmental contaminants and assistance in the recovery of damaged habitats that support trust species.

(4) Partners for Fish and Wildlife - involves assisting private landowners in habitat enhancement/restoration activities that benefit trust resources.

(5) Outreach - involves reaching out to others to provide information and services. This may take place in the form of fact sheets, news releases, providing programs, leading workshops, conducting public affairs and environmental education. This website is an outreach tool.


 looking into gopher tortoise burrow. Credit USFWS

Biologist checking wood duck nestbox. Ducks are a trust species. Credit: USFWS

What are trust resources?

Trust resources include migratory birds, species listed under the Endangered Species Act, inter-jurisdiction fishes, marine mammals, wetlands, and Service lands.


Do your work with special interest groups or partners?

Yes, we work with other agencies, organizations, institutions and special interest groups to achieve our mission. Click on Special Parnterships to learn more. We also work with interested private landowners in the conservation of our natural resources. Click on Partners Program to learn more.


Where do I get a Fishing or Hunting License?

Hunting and fishing licenses are issued by the state agency - Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks - link to MDWFP


Last Updated: April 18, 2013