The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service International Affairs Program works to conserve our nation’s wildlife and species of international concern. Due to a permitting backlog, we are currently focusing on processing permit applications and are not providing status updates on permit applications at this time. In addition, letters acknowledging that the Service has received a permit application may take up to 45 business days to issue. For all other inquiries, please email Thank you.

Traveling Across International Borders with Your Pet

If you are traveling internationally with your common pet, such as a dog or cat, please refer to USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service for information on pet travel. 

If you are traveling with an exotic pet, including many bird and reptile species, you may need to obtain permits before crossing international borders with your pet. 

The Wild Bird Conservation Act (WBCA), a significant step in international conservation efforts to protect exotic birds subject to trade, became effective on October 23, 1992. The WBCA focuses on bird species listed in the Appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). Since most exotic pet birds (including parrots, cockatoos, and macaws but excluding budgerigars and cockatiels) are species listed under CITES, most are affected by the WBCA.

To determine if your pet is listed under the WBCA and/or CITES, please refer to the following lists:

For information about traveling with your pet bird, please visit our Traveling With Your Pet Bird page.

Permit Information

If you have determined that your pet is protected under the WBCA or CITES, you will need to apply for one or more of the following permits.  Be sure to plan ahead for your travel.  You should allow at least 60 days to process your application, noting that some applications may take longer than 90 days. 

One-time import, export, or re-export of personal pets listed under CITES or the Wild Bird Conservation Act (WBCA)
If you are intending to make one border crossing (either an import, export, or re-export) with their CITES or WBCA-listed pet, you should complete application form 3-200-46 pdf.

“Pet passport”: Multiple import, export, or re-exports of a personal pet listed under CITES
If you reside in the U.S. and intend to make multiple border crossings with your CITES-listed pet, you should complete application form 3-200-64 pdf.

Please note that a separate application and certificate is needed for each animal.  If you are interested in obtaining a permit for multiple animals, or are intending to move your pet overseas permanently, you should complete application form 3-200-46 pdf.

For general information on CITES permit requirements, click here pdf.

If you are unsure whether you need to obtain a permit, please contact the Division of Management Authority, Branch of Permits directly.