The Refuge consists of two separate Units
1964 - William L. Finley Unit
Refuge Size :
William L. Finley Unit 5,325 acres (2,155 ha)
Snag Boat Bend Unit 372 acres (151 ha)
Total 5,697 acres (2,305 ha)
William L. Finley Unit: Benton County
, Oregon , 10 miles south of Corvallis
Sunrise to sunset
William L. Finley Unit: Travel South 10 miles from Corvallis , Oregon , or north 7.5 miles from Monroe , Oregon , to milepost 93 on Highway 99W. Turn west on Finley Refuge Road . The Refuge headquarters is about four miles up the road.
Snag Boat Bend Unit: Travel about 1 mile south of Peoria , Oregon , on Peoria Road. Watch for entrance sign.
William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge
Migratory Bird Conservation Act of February 18, 1929 (45 Stat. 1222) as amended (16 U.S.C. 715-715r).
On February 19, 1963 , the Migratory Bird Conservation Commission authorized the establishment of the Refuge at areas to be located at traditional Canada goose concentration points in the Willamette Valley . Lands for the Refuge were purchased by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under the wetland loan fund, against revenue from the future sales of duck stamps, under authorization of the Migratory Bird Conservation Commission and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
".for use as an inviolate sanctuary, or for any other management purpose, for migratory birds."
The Refuge was named for William L. Finley, an early conservationist, who persuaded President Theodore Roosevelt to set aside the first national wildlife refuge west of the Mississippi River.
• provide winter habitat for the dusky Canada goose and other migratory
Public Use Opportunities: