Wildlife and Habitats
We work for you... by conserving the nature of America.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is the principal Federal agency for conserving, protecting, and enhancing fish,
wildlife, plants, and their habitats for the continuing benefit of you, the American public. We manage the
93-million-acre National Wildlife Refuge System with more than 530 individual refuges, wetlands, and special
management areas - to mark their 100th anniversary in 2003. We operate 66 national fish hatcheries, 64 fishery
resource offices, and 78 ecological services field stations - local offices near to you, where we work to conserve
natural resources. We enforce Federal wildlife protection laws, such as the Endangered Species Act. We manage
migratory birds ... restore nationally significant fisheries ... conserve wetlands ... and help foreign governments
with their conservation efforts.
Below is a list of offices with major responsibilities for conserving wildlife and habitats. Please see our Index/Site Map to find other routes to our information online.
- migratory bird management, including reports, background on major decisions, monitoring of species, and
- Coastal Habitat
- Coastal Barrier Resource System, Coastal Wetlands Conservation Grants...
- Conservation Issues
- background information on management issues in the news...
- Cultural Resources
- archeological sites, historic structures, museum collections...
- Ecosystem Approach to Fish & Wildlife Conservation
- managing biological resources within a watershed...
- Endangered Species
- habitat conservation and recovery plans, actions and data regarding threatened and endangered species...
- Environmental Quality
- pesticides, water quality, contaminants...
- Fire Management
- prescribed fire, wildland fire, smoke management, statistics...
- fish hatcheries, management assistance, fish passage...
- Habitat Conservation
- habitat restoration, technical assistance, environmental review of Federal projects...
- International Affairs
- international conventions on managing species, import/export permits...
- Invasive Species
- impacts, control and prevention. Coordination with others...
- Federal conservation laws, treaties...
- Law Enforcement
- enforcement activities by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- National Wildlife Refuge System
- national network of lands and waters for the conservation and management of fish, wildlife
and plant resources and their habitats
- land acquisition for wildlife refuges...
- National Wetlands Inventory, maps, habitat assessment...
- Wildlife Species
- information on common and uncommon animals and plants...
Questions? Please see our answers to the Frequently Asked
Questions, and try the Index/Site Map and the Search Engine, before you contact us
Home Page - U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service