National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) Wetlands Layer
The National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) is a way of enhancing the accessibility, communication, and use of geospatial data to support a wide variety of decisions at all levels of society. NSDI is defined as the technologies, policies,and people necessary to promote sharing of geospatial data throughout all levels of government, the private and non-profit sectors, and the academic community.
As data stewards, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) is the principle Federal agency that provides wetland information to the public and other agencies.
Maintenance of the National Wetland Classification Standard
National Standards and Quality Components For Wetlands,
Deepwater and Related Habitat Mapping, 2004, U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service, Division of Habitat and resource
Conservation, Branch of Habitat Assessment, Arlington, VA
- New! FGDC Wetland Mapping Standard
(PDF): The Secretary of the Interior announced the adoption of a Wetlands Mapping Standard that provides minimum requirements and guidelines for wetlands mapping efforts. The new standard is designed to guide current and future wetlands digital mapping projects and enhance the overall quality and consistency of wetlands data. Quality data on wetlands are considered critical for planning effective conservation strategies to benefit fish and wildlife resources now and in the future. (News Release) (Questions and Answers)
Wetlands Layer - National Spatial Data Infrastructure: A
Phased Approach to Completion and Modernization (PDF)
- New! The USFWS has updated an important companion document that describes the technical procedures and requirements for wetlands map data. The document entitled "Data Collection Requirements and Procedures for Mapping Wetland, Deepwater and Related Habitats of the United States (Version 2) (PDF)" is intended to aid organizations or individuals mapping wetlands and applying the Cowardin et al. classification system. This document explains the appropriate application of wetland classification, wetland mapping process and how to achieve the data quality requirements now required in the new FGDC Standards. The document has recently been finalized and applies to all wetland map data submitted for inclusion into the Wetlands Geospatial Data Layer maintained by the Service. Questions can be addressed to Regional Coordinators or the National Standards and Support Team.
- Wetlands Mapping Standard Implementation Plan
- All NSDI reports
- Document: FGDC Wetland Mapping Standard
- Standard: Classification of Wetlands and Deepwater Habitats of the United States
- Wetlands Subcommittee
- Status Information