Federal Geographic Data Committee: Wetlands Subcommittee
The Wetlands Subcommittee of the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) is responsible for coordination of wetlands geospatial data layer of the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI). This subcommittee is the mechanism for the coordinated development, use, sharing, and dissemination of base cartographic data financed in whole or in part by Federal funds.
The wetlands geospatial data layer is defined as the fundamental data set that is produced to provide the classification, location, and extent of wetlands and related habitats, such as deepwater and riparian habitats. It is used in general purpose graphic and digital cartographic products. These data represent the wetland features of the United States and its territories. Used individually or collectively the data can provide the framework upon which other themes of geographic data can be referenced. Examples of these cartographic data include roads, streams, contours, boundaries, and geographic and other coordinate reference systems.
Organization and Membership
- Charter (PDF)
- Participating Federal Agencies
- Federal Agency Representatives
- Non-Federal Collaborating Partner Organizations
- Working Groups
Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced the adoption of a Wetlands Mapping Standard that provides minimum requirements and guidelines for wetlands mapping efforts. The new standard is designed to guide current and future wetlands digital mapping projects and enhance the overall quality and consistency of wetlands data. Quality data on wetlands are considered critical for planning effective conservation strategies to benefit fish and wildlife resources now and in the future.
- Classification of Wetlands and Deepwater Habitats of the United States
- Wetlands Mapping Standard (PDF)
- National Wetlands Classification Standard (Cowardin et al.) (17MB PDF)
- Proposed Riparian Mapping Standards
- Status of the Wetlands Layer
- Wetlands Mapper, displaying the Wetlands Layer of the NSDI for viewing and downloading