- Camping and overnight use is not permitted.
- Dogs, cats, and other pets are not permitted anywhere on the refuge.
- Do not enter areas marked “Closed”.
- Open fires are not allowed.
- Feeding, capturing, or harassing wildlife is strictly prohibited.
- All of the refuge's historical, archaeological, and natural resources are protected. Artifact hunting is not allowed. Do not pick flowers or remove vegetation.
- Shell collectors are asked to take no live shells and to limit their collecting to a handful.
- Freshwater fishing is prohibited.
- Refuge dock may be used for loading and unloading of people and gear, or for visiting the information kiosk; extended mooring is prohibited.
- Drinking water and restrooms are not available on the island.
- There are no shelters for visitor protection from the sun or inclement weather.
- Overgrowth on trails may conceal snakes, poison ivy, or stinging insects.
- Alligators may be encountered on the refuge; it is potentially dangerous (and a violation of state and federal law) to feed or molest this reptile in any way.
- Beware of falling trees and limbs.
- Insect repellant and sunscreen are recommended.
- Tell a friend or relative where you are going and when to expect your return.