Welcome to the Warm Springs Fish Health Center
- Established: 1989.
- The lab has the capability to provide state-of-the-art fish disease diagnostic and fish health certification services to a variety of national fish hatcheries, state fish hatcheries and private fish farms.
- Triploid grass carp certification inspections are also provided to private fish farmers in the 10 southeastern states.
- The fish health section includes virology, bacteriology, and parasitology labs and water chemistry and fish sample preparation labs.
- The staff includes four biologists at Warm Springs and a triploid certification inspector located at Stuttgart, Arkansas.
- The geographic area covered is the 10 states of the Southeast region.
- Provide service, expertise and information that contributes to the health, survival, enhancement, restoration, and recovery of fish and other aquatic species in support of national and regional priorities.
- Supports hatchery operations to provide quality fish that contribute to Strategic Habitat Conservation (SHC) and landscape objectives.
- Assists in the development of management strategies through assessment and applied research to support the protection of wild stocks and recovery of threatened and endangered species.
- Educates key audiences about the elements of comprehensive fish health and its critical significance to healthy aquatic ecosystems.
National Wild Fish Health Survey— Service Regional Fish Health Centers have been mandated to establish and maintain a National Fish Disease Database. This database is to be a comprehensive survey of the health of wild fish populations throughout the United States. The information gathered by the Fish Health Centers will be available to all interested parties on the Internet.
Services Provided To
- Federal agencies including other Fish and Wildlife Service program offices.
- State agencies.
- Native American Tribes.
- Military bases.
- Non-governmental organizations (NGO’s).
- The public.
Public Use Opportunities
- Environmental education and public outreach opportunities to visitors, school groups and various other organizations.
- Beautiful surroundings and natural environment.
- Endangered shortnose sturgeon display for off-site presentations.
- Co-located at the Warm Springs National Fish Hatchery.