MORE VALLEY CITY HISTORY.....
Valley City NFH was originally built for bass and bluegill production. Presently it rears northern pike, walleye, yellow perch , tiger muskie, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, bluegill, and pallid sturgeon. These fish are stocked into Missouri River Dam development projects, National Wildlife Refuges, Indian waters, and assists the state programs of North Dakota. An intensive culture building was constructed in 1981 for rearing and diet testing of warm and cool water species. It is now being used to rear pallid sturgeon for stocking into the Missouri River.
The station is located three miles northwest of Valley City, North Dakota along County Road Number 17 in the Sheyenne River Valley.
The hatchery site was purchased on July 26, 1938 from the State of North Dakota for the sum of $1.00. Construction was started in 1938 and completed in 1940. WPA and labor was administered under the direct supervision of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Water for fish culture is pumped from the Sheyenne River under several permits.
Baldhill Rearing Unit
The Baldhill rearing unit lies directly below Baldhill Dam 12 miles northwest of Valley City, North Dakota on County Road 17. The unit was aquired through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Corps of Engineers and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The water source for Baldhill is Lake Ashtabula.