Data Element: ORGANIZATION NAME ABBREVIATION
You are invited to read the definitions of terms used in this data standard.
||Organization Name Abbreviation|
||Abbreviation used for the official identifying name given to a Service organization that has been assigned an official five-digit numeric organization code by the Washington Office, Division of Financial Management.|
||Abbreviated organization name, up to a maximum of 100 characters from A through Z, punctuation marks, and the forward slash (/) character.|
|Recommended Field Name||ORGNAMEABBR|
||The official values to be used for this data element are provided in the Source section.|
||As of January 18, 2011, the Service has 1662 organizations
with official organization name abbreviations.
For the most current data on the Service's official organization codes, organization names, and name abbreviations, please contact Chris Lett, National GIS Coordinator, by electronic mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (303-275-2348).
|Historical Data||For information on past versions of this standard, contact the National Data Administrator, Branch of Data and Systems Services, Division of Information Resources and Technology Management.|
Part 270, FW 6, Data Management and Standards, has been superceded by Part 274, FW 2, Establishing Service Data Standards.
Part 020 FW 2, Organization Standards and Codes.
Part 040 FW 2, Naming and Renaming Units and Unit Sites.
Publication 28, Postal Addressing Standards, November 2000 - defines abbreviations for directional information (e.g., north, south, northeast, southwest, etc.) and business words (e.g., account, administrative, center, division, facility, office, etc.).
Abbreviations for directionals and business words used in current Organization Names (refer to Publication 28, Appendix G, for a complete list of Common Presentation and Business Word Abbreviations).
||As of the approval date, this data element will be used in
any new automated system, data set, database, or information application, including new
Geographic Information System (GIS) data and applications. This data element will also be
used in any major modifications to existing systems or versions of these data-related
items that use abbreviations for the official identifying names given to Service
organizations that have been assigned official five-digit numeric organization
Service staff are strongly encouraged to utilize this data element in existing systems, data sets, databases, and information applications. Where existing systems and data-related items are not in compliance, they should be modified to achieve compatibility and implement this data standard.
Whenever possible, the official Organization Name will be spelled out in full; however, the organization name abbreviation will be used in systems that cannot accommodate the entire name of the Service organization. To ensure that official organization names are abbreviated in a consistent manner, the following procedures will be used:
1. Organization name abbreviations shall not exceed 50 characters.
2. When the organization name includes one of the official organization types defined in the Organization Type data element standard, the abbreviated name shall include the standard acronym defined in the Organization Type Acronym data element standard.
3. When the organization name includes a state or state equivalent name, the two-letter Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) alphabetic code shall be used if the name is abbreviated, as defined in the State Name and Alpha Code data element standard.
4. Publication 28, Postal Addressing Standards, should be the primary reference used to reduce or limit the number of characters in an organization name. The use of other abbreviations is acceptable, provided they are common presentation forms and do not conflict with any abbreviations used in the Postal Service Standard.
5. Omit punctuation, except where punctuation is necessary for understanding the information. For example, a hyphen may be used to separate a title from a location (e.g., RES AGNT IN CHRG-JACKSON, MS), and a slash may be used to separate two distinct names or locations (e.g., ALCHESAY/WILLIAMS CRK NFH COMPLX or CA/NV FHC).
||June 6, 2001|
||November 29, 2013|
||National Data Administrator, Branch of Data and Systems Services, Division of Information Resources and Technology Management.|