National Fishing and Boating Week (First full week of June)
Annual Fishing Derby (First Saturday in June)
Let’s go fishing! This is a statement most children love to hear. The thought of going out to a body of water, putting something squishy on a hook and throwing the line into the water with the expectation of catching something is very intriguing to them.
The focus of this event is to stir the interest of the young and the young at heart. As the years have passed word has spread of how much fun the event is and the organizing, setting up, and gathering of donations to prepare for the event has become easier. Although the preparation for the event is a huge undertaking, the rewards are multiplied many times over. Seeing the wonder and joy of our young participants and hearing a simple “thank you” or “we had so much fun” makes this event meaningful to us.
- The event is always free and open to children ages 6-12.
- The time of the event is from 9 am to 11 am.
- Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Free water and healthy snacks.
- Bring your own rod, tackle, and cooler (if keeping fish).
- Anglers may take home 5 fish per fisherman.
- Don't forget your sunscreen!
The Hatchery plans to continue offering this fun fishing event each year on the first Saturday in June for youth throughout the state.
The Tishomingo National Fish Hatchery also participates in community events outside the hatchery. Events we have participated in previously are listed below (participation is not guaranteed every year).
- Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation Expo
- Johnston County Fair
- Lake Murray Earth Day Celebration
- Arbuckle-Simpson Nature Festival
- Annual Easter Egg Hunt, hosted by the Johnston County Chamber of Commerce and Emergency Management System