The hatchery was established under the White Act of 1931. The hatchery opened its doors in 1932 to meet the
demands of warm water game fish. The main focus of the facility was to supply local waterways with sport fish via rearing at the Center.
After the Endangered Species Act was established in 1973 the hatchery began working with endangered species in 1974.
The hatchery began work with four endangered species, and currently works with 15 different species. The hatchery often also provides
emergency response and housing to as many as 19 different species at any given time. In 1978 the hatchery mission was transformed from
a facility that raised fish for recreational purposes to a facility that would house and protect endangered fish species.
In 1991 the hatchery evolved once again into one of only seven technology centers; performing life history studies,
creating new technology and carefully analyzing fish genetics. The success of reintroduction of endangered species into the wild is
accredited partly to the uniqueness of technology centers and their mission.
In 2005, the facility was once again introduced to a new venue, adding a fish health unit. The Fish Health Unit
monitors aquatic species health issues for the entire Southwest Region.