Ecological Services
Southwest Region

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Before calling our office, please check the list of topics and questions below or try our National FAQs page.

How do I know if I need a permit from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)?

Where do I get more information on hunting, fishing or other non-game wildlife?

How do I get more involved?

Other helpful links...

How do I know if I need a permit from USFWS?

Check out our office's Project Review page for help with endangered species permit questions or the USFWS National Permits page for other laws and treaties the USFWS administers.

Where do I get more information on hunting, fishing or non-game wildlife?

For information on hunting and fishing licenses, check out Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's Information and Licenses page

For hunting and fishing on National Wildlife Refuges in Texas, check out the USFWS's Texas Refuges page and follow the links to refuges with hunting and fishing opportunities: Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge (NWR), Aransas NWR, Balcones Canyonlands NWR, Big Boggy NWR, Brazoria NWR, Buffalo Lake NWR, Hagerman NWR, Laguna Atascosa NWR, Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR, McFaddin and Texas Point NWR, San Bernard NWR, or Trinity River NWR.

For information on what to do if you've found injured wildlife, check out Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's Hunting and Wildlife - General FAQs page

Check our our Migratory birds permit page for information on falconry, raptor propagation, scientific collecting, special purposes (rehabilitation, educational, migratory game bird propagation, and salvage), take of depredating birds, taxidermy, and waterfowl sale and disposal.

For opportunities to view the endangered golden-cheeked warbler or black-capped vireo, check with the Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

For more ideas on ways to expose your family to fish and wildlife and outdoor opportunities, try our "Let's Go Outside! web page and the National Wildlife Refuge System's America's Great Outdoors web page

For photographs of wildlife, try the USFWS National Digital Library

How do I get more involved?

To speak with someone who may be able to help you do something beneficial for wildlife on your land and potentially provide funding for a portion of it, try our Partners for Fish and Wildlife program

For volunteer opportunities with the USFWS, try the USFWS Volunteers web page or our Southwest Region's Volunteer Opportunities web page

If you are an educator or work with Boy or Girl Scouts, try the USFWS Educator's Page

For information on jobs with the USFWS, try our Human Capital web page

Other helpful links...

Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) - recycling, environmental complaints, droughts, preventing pollution

US Army Corps of Engineers: Ft Worth District - wetland permits, recreational lakes

United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - Contaminants

USFWS Climate Change web page

USFWS Deepwater Horizon oil spill response


Last updated: June 23, 2015