The Student Temporary Employment
This program is designed to introduce talented students to the advantages and challenges of working for the Federal Government; to provide opportunities for students to combine academic study with on the-job work experience; and to provide opportunities for students to earn money while continuing their education. This program includes positions in all occupational groups (Professional, Administrative, Technical, Clerical, Wage Grade) within the Service.
To be eligible for the STEP, students must be:
- At least 16 years of age.
- A U.S. citizen or a national.
- Enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a program of study leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate, at an accredited high school, technical or vocational school, two or four year college or university, graduate or professional school.
- Taking at least a half-time course load as defined by the school. An exception to this requirement is permitted when a student is in the final period before graduation and needs to complete less than a half-time course load.
- A student in a good standing with the academic institution and maintaining the grade point average (GPA) requirements of the school.
- Provides maximum flexibility to agencies and students.
- Appointments are for 1 year, and may be extended in 1-year increments as long as the student continues to meet program eligibility requirements.
- Duties of STEP positions are not required to be related to the student’s academic/career goals.
- Students are eligible for annual (vacation), holiday, and sick leave.
- Students are eligible for health insurance once they are continuously employed for one year.
- Students may be converted to the Student Career Experience Program (SCEP); and STEP work experience may be creditable toward SCEP work experience requirements.
- Appointments may be made at any grade for which a student qualifies, under either the General Schedule or Wage Grade. Those under the General Schedule are eligible for locality pay, and if applicable, special pay rates.
- Work schedules may be part-time, full-time, alternating, or concurrent with course work.
Recruitment of Candidates:
- STEP positions are recruited and filled based on the needs of the Service. A notice will appear on bottom of the page for any open recruitment of candidates.
- STEP candidates are also recruited at targeted recruitment events (e.g., job fairs, college recruitment activities, and similar events). Potential applicants will be informed of the recruitment event, the jobs under recruitment and the appointment requirements. All applications submitted during the event for positions covered by the event will be accepted.
- Application packages must contain (1) a resume, (2) a current transcript and (3) a school letter of current enrollment and in good standing. Application packages will only be accepted for a specific position notice.
For More Information Contact:
Danny Louallen at 404-679-4024