State-by-state Breakouts of the 2011 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation are Now Available
September 25, 2013
- email: Tom MacKenzie, phone: (404) 679-7291 (o), (678) 296-6400 (m)
- email: Jennifer Strickland, phone: (404) 679-7299 (o)
- Wildlife recreationists spent $144.7 billion in 2011 on their activities, which equated to one percent of the Gross Domestic Product. Of the total amount spent, $49.5 billion was trip-related, $70.4 billion was spent on equipment, and $25.1 billion was spent on other items such as licenses and land leasing and ownership.
- The number of sportspersons rose from 33.9 million in 2006 to 37.4 million in 2011. The data show that 33.1 million people fished, and 13.7 million hunted.
More than 90 million U.S. residents 16 years old and older participated in some form of wildlife-related recreation in 2011, up three percent from five years earlier. The increase was primarily among those who fished and hunted.
- 71.8 million U.S. residents observed, fed, and/or photographed wildlife in 2011. Almost 68.6 million people wildlife watched around their homes, and 22.5 million people took trips of at least one mile from home to primarily wildlife watch.
- Of the 46.7 million people who observed wild birds, 88% did so around their homes and 38% on trips a mile or more from home.
- Birding in the United States: A Demographic and Economic Analysis
Wildlife Watching Highlights
For specialized information for your state, visit:
The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants, and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. For more information on our work and the people who make it happen, visit www.fws.gov/southeast. Connect with us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usfwssoutheast, follow our tweets at www.twitter.com/usfwssoutheast, watch our YouTube Channel at http://www.youtube.com/usfws, and download photos from our Flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/usfwssoutheast.