Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Species
Our office currently consults on the species shown below, or will consult if and when listed, e.g. longfin smelt. However the Sacramento Fish & Wildlife Office is the lead on most of these. More information here soon about which ones we have the lead on. That has recently changed.
Accounts for other species can be found on the Sacramento Fish & Wildlife Office Species page. Listing status, critical habitat and other facts are available from the Threatened & Endangered Species System (TESS).
Some listed species found in the San Francisco, San Mateo and Suisun Bays, and in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta:
(In PDF and Rich Text forma, under 500 KB except as noted.)
Amphibians & Reptiles
- California Red-Legged Frog (Rana draytonii) PDF | RTF (729 KB)
- California Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma californiense) PDF | RTF (663 KB)
- Giant Garter Snake (Thamnophis gigas) PDF | RTF
- California Clapper Rail PDF | RTF (4.5 MB)
- California Least Tern PDF | RTF
- Delta Smelt (Hypomesus transpacificus) PDF | RTF
- Longfin smelt (Spirinchus thaleichthys) PDF | RTF (candidate species)
(Listed as threatened by the State of California. See information)
- Sacramento Splittail (Not listed) - The Service found that listing was not warranted but continues to monitor the species.
- Green and white sturgeons - See Other Delta Species of Interest below. The populations here are under the jurisdiction of the NOAA Fisheries Service.
- Conservancy Fairy Shrimp (Branchinecta conservatio) PDF | RTF (815 KB)
- Longhorn Fairy Shrimp (Branchinecta longiantenna) PDF | RTF (761 KB)
- Valley Elderberry Longhorn Beetle (Desmocerus californicus dimorphus) PDF | RTF (638 KB)
- Vernal Pool Fairy Shrimp (Branchinecta lynchi) PDF | RTF (595 KB)
- Vernal Pool Tadpole Shrimp (Lepidurus packardi) PDF | RTF (626 KB)
- Riparian Brush Rabbit (Sylvilagus bachmani riparius) PDF | RTF (4.5 MB)
- Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse (Reithrodontomys raviventris) PDF | RTF (514 KB)
- Soft Bird's Beak (Cordylanthus mollis ssp. mollis) PDF | RTF
- Suisun Thistle (Cirsium hydrophilum var. hydrophilum) PDF | RTF (1.6 MB)
Other Delta species of interest:
From NOAA Fisheries Service
- Green Sturgeon
Note: The white sturgeon also occurs in the delta region. It is not federally listed here, although the Kootenai River basin population is listed as endangered. For more information about sturgeons in our area, see our newsroom.
- Various salmon populations.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service maintains the Information, Planning, and Conservation System (IPaC) as an online conservation tool to help people explore the landscape and minimize project-related conflicts with natural resources.
With IPaC, you can generate species lists and view wetlands, GAP land cover, USFWS critical habitat, and other nature resource map layers.
Follow this link to visit IPaC: http://ecos.fws.gov/ipac (For an unofficial list of species in a county, visit TESS.)