Bay-Delta Fish & Wildlife Office
Pacific Southwest Region

Recovery Permits

Recovery permits allow scientists to capture and/or study endangered species. They can also be issued for other activities that aid the recovery of a species, e.g., captive breeding and educational programs.

People sometimes call these permits "scientific take permits." We call them recovery permits because they are only issued for activities that aid the recovery of the species.

How to Apply for a Recovery Permit

Use form 3-200-55 (PDF 488KB). See Permits - How to Apply for instructions. Contact our recovery permit coordinator at 916-930-5603 if you have any questions.

Surveying for vernal pool species

Surveying, H. Mossman, FWS

See the Sacramento Fish & Wildlife Guidelines & Survey Protocols page for information about some of the activities authorized by Recovery Permits.

Pacific Southwest Regional Office recovery page has more information about recovery permits. (The section on permits is part way down the page.)

Visit the regional office's minimum qualifications page to learn the qualifications for various permits.

For other forms, go to the national Forms page.