|Sewee Red Wolves!
The Sewee Center is home for five endangered Red wolves. Two sisters arrived at the Center from the Salisbury Zoological Park on November 1, 2012. On May 21, 2013 a male and female arrived from the captive facility at Alligator River NWR. The male sired six pups at the Center on April 8th. Two pups and the mother remain at Sewee. With a population of approximately 300, the Red wolf is one of the most endangered animals in the world today.
|Red wolf sisters.
Credit: Salisbury Zoological Park
|Youth Fishing Rodeo. Credit: Tricia Lynch/USFWS|
Sewee Visitor and Environmental Education Center is the gateway to Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge and Francis Marion National Forest. To encourage public involvement and use of the 325,000 acres of public land, recurring programs are offered at the Center.
Sewee Lecture Series, a monthly program, reflects national themes as well as items of local interest. Children's “hands-on” conservation education programs are offered on Saturday mornings once or twice each month. Guided wildflower walks in the woods are scheduled quarterly. Guided kayak trips through blackwater creeks and salt water creeks and bays, are offered seasonally.
Annual special events are traditionally held in the same month and, if possible, on the same weekends. For instance, the Youth Fishing Rodeo is offered on the second Saturday each June. The Cape Romain Lighthouse Tour is the only guided trip to visit Lighthouse Island. Four tours are offered each year.
BULLS ISLAND WEEKEND ECO-EXPEDITIONS
For the first time in 43 years, the Dominick House on Cape Romain's Bulls Island is once again receiving overnight guests. Hosted by Coastal Expeditions, refuge concession, the three day/two night weekend ecology trip has a focus on barrier island dynamics, the connections of human and natural history, and invasive species. A myriad of island wildlife and plants will be studied as guests explore the salt marsh, maritime forest and beach. Expeditions will be offered on the third weekend of October through May, with the first trip scheduled for October 18th - 20th.
In 1936, Mr. Gayer Dominick of New York conveyed Bulls Island to the Cape Romain NWR. Historically, from 1940 - 1969, the refuge awarded contracts to concessionaires who offered Bulls Island visitors lodging and meals at the Dominick House. During those 29 years, five concessionaires lived on the island with their families, providing quality services for those who came to the island to birdwatch, fish, photograph wildlife, beachcomb and archery hunt. Guests came from across the United States, Canada, and other countries including Finland, England, Germany, France, Sweden and South Africa. For more information and to register for an expedition, contact Coastal Expeditions at 843.884.7684 or visit Coastal Expeditions.
|Dominick House. Credit: Weatherly Meadors|