Welcome to Savannah NWR
Established April 6, 1927, Savannah NWR consists of over 29,000 acres of freshwater marshes, tidal rivers and creeks and bottomland hardwoods. The refuge is located in the heart of the Lowcountry, a band of low land, bordered on the west by sandhill ridges and on the east by the Atlantic Ocean, extending from Georgetown, South Carolina to St. Mary's, Georgia.
Known for it's rich flora during the humid summer months, the region also supports a diverse wildlife population. The variety of birdlife within the Lowcountry is enhanced by its location on the Atlantic Flyway. During the winter months, thousands of ring-necked, teal, pintails, and as many as ten other species of ducks migrate into the area, joining resident wood ducks on the refuge. In the spring and fall, transient songbirds stop briefly on their journey to and from northern nesting grounds.
Savannah NWR is one of seven refuges administered by the Savannah Coastal Refuges Complex. This chain of national wildlife refuges extends from Pinckney Island NWR near Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, to Wolf Island NWR near Darien, Georgia. Between these lie Savannah (the largest unit in the complex), Wassaw, Tybee, Harris Neck, and Blackbeard Island refuges. Together they span a 100-mile coastline and total over 56,000 acres. The Savannah Coastal Refuges are administered from headquarters located in Savannah, Georgia.
Getting There . . .
The Savannah National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center is located on U.S. Hwy 17 in Jasper County, South Carolina, approximately 6 miles north of downtown Savannah, Georgia and 7 miles south of Hardeeville, South Carolina. The Visitor Center is open Monday through Saturday, 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM. Other areas of the refuge are open to wildlife-dependent recreation activities during daylight hours, seven days a week. Please consult with refuge staff at the Visitor Center prior to visiting for information on what areas are open and what kinds of activities are permitted.