National Wildlife Refuge
Bethel, AK 99559
Phone Number: 907-543-3151
|Visit the Refuge's Web Site:
|Emperor geese spend their entire lives within Alaska|
Continued . . . Refuge lands were first set aside by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1909 as a preserve and breeding ground for native birds. In 1929, Nunivak Island was set aside as a refuge and breeding ground for wild birds, game, and furbearing animals. In 1930, the small islands and all lands under the waters surrounding Nunivak Island were added to the refuge. Additional lands were reserved by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1937 when Hazen Bay Migratory Waterfowl Refuge was established. The Kuskokwim National Wildlife Range, established in 1960, was enlarged in 1961, and its name changed to the Clarence Rhode National Wildlife Range.
On December 2, 1980, President Jimmy Carter signed the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA). With enactment of ANILCA, these existing ranges and refuges were combined and enlarged to establish the Yukon Delta NWR. It was ANILCA that also established the Andreafsky and Nunivak Wilderness Areas and designated the Andreafsky River as a Wild and Scenic River. With the exception of several small additions to the refuge through land exchanges or purchases, all lands that now make up the refuge were in the public domain prior to refuge designation.
|- Back -|