National Wildlife Refuge
|P.O. Box 568
Dugway, UT 84022
Phone Number: 435-831-5353
|Visit the Refuge's Web Site:
|Northern pintails pair up with their mates on wintering areas. The male then follows the female to her breeding area.|
Continued . . . The first human inhabitants of the area were thought to have utilized the marshes of what is now Fish Springs NWR over 11,000 years ago. The early Shoshonean and Fremont cultures would have found the marshes a very rich source of resources in the midst of an otherwise harsh environment.
Historical occupation began in the mid-1800s when the Pony Express established a station at what is today the Thomas Ranch Watchable Wildlife Area. The Pony Express was followed by the Transcontinental Telegraph line which helped bring about the demise of the Pony Express. Stubs of the original telegraph poles can still be seen on the Refuge.
As the Pony Express faded, it was replaced by the Central Overland Stage; the stage followed a very similar route across western Utah. Mark Twain and Horace Greeley are among the travelers that stopped at the Fish Springs station.
Early in the 20th century, the Lincoln Highway passed through Fish Springs marshes. By this time, John Thomas, an early pioneer, had established a ranch here. From 1913 to 1927, this stop would provide lodging, fuel, oil, and meals to the intrepid motorist traveling this historic route.
|- Back -|