National Wildlife Refuge
|5801 Highway 17 North
Awendaw, SC 29429
Phone Number: 843-928-3264
|Visit the Refuge's Web Site:
Continued . . . Bulls Bay and the creeks landward of Bulls Island were reputed hideouts for pirates that plundered ships along the coast. The remains of the Old Fort on Bulls Island are believed to have been a martello tower built in the early 1700's. Stories of retreating British warships restocking supplies on Bulls Island during the Revolutionary War, Confederate blockade runners using Refuge tidal creeks, and the Union troops' destruction of the martello tower used as a Confederate powder magazine are documented.
Two lighthouses still stand on Lighthouse Island. The first was built in 1827, and the other in 1857. Although neither is operational, they are still used as daytime landmarks for ships and fishermen.
In 1925 Gayer Dominick, a banker and broker from New York, purchased Bulls Island with the intent of making it a private hunting preserve. He had the Dominick House built and built an infrastructure of impoundments to attract waterfowl. In 1936 Mr. Dominick gave the island to the Service to become part of the Refuge.
|- Back -|