Wetland Management District
|26624 N. Tower Road
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501 - 7959
Phone Number: 218-847-4431
|Visit the Refuge's Web Site:
|The Detroit Lakes Wetland Management District protects more than 50,000 acres of waterfowl nesting habitat.|
Continued . . . French explorers and fur traders dominated Minnesota from 1660 to 1760. The British dominated the area from 1760 to 1803, even though Minnesota belonged to Spain during most of that period. With the purchase of the Louisiana Territory in 1803, western Minnesota became part of the United States.
There are no known archeological sites from the French or British periods or from the first half of the 19th century in the district, however, there are many sites and standing structures that date from the settlement and occupancy period of the 1860s to the present time. There are 33 properties listed on the National Register of Historical Places in the district. One property is a prehistoric site; all of the others date after the 1860s. None are located on U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service lands.
The district was established in 1962 as part of the Fergus Falls Wetland Management District, with the advent of the Accelerated Small Wetlands Acquisition Program. In 1971, the counties of Becker, Clay, Norman, Mahnomen, and Polk were split off from the Fergus Falls District to form the Tamarac District, with headquarters located at the Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge. In 1975, the district was restructured and renamed the Detroit Lakes Wetland Management District, with the district office located one mile north of the Detroit Lakes city limits on the Headquarters WPA.
|- Back -|