National Wildlife Refuge
|35704 County Highway 26
Rochert, MN 56578
Phone Number: 218-847-2641
|Visit the Refuge's Web Site:
|Timber wolves are occasionally seen at Tamarac Refuge.|
Continued . . . The Dakota once controlled the area, followed by the Ojibwe. Historical sites throughout the refuge chronicle the tribes' utilization and numerous battles fought over these precious resources. Still today tribal members hunt, fish, trap and harvest herbs, berries and wild rice on the refuge.
Between 1890 and 1930, the refuge's original stands of red and white pine were logged. These logs were sent down the Egg, Buffalo and Ottertail rivers. Settlers arrived, but farming never achieved much prominence due to the thick forest, marginal soils and numerous wetlands.
In 1938 an Executive Order established the Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge. However, it was not until 1965 that all land acquisitions were completed. Tamarac's nearly 43,000 acres were purchased with funds from the sale of Federal Duck Stamps. Early refuge development was achieved by a Conservation Corps Camp in the 1930s and further enhanced in the 1960s by a Job Corps Center.
|- Back - |