National Wildlife Refuge
|14000 W. State Route 2
Oak Harbor, OH 43449
Phone Number: 419-898-0014
|Visit the Refuge's Web Site:
|A bald eagle is silhouetted against the evening sky.|
Continued . . . Many waterfowl and wildlife used the area. Ducks, deer and muskrats were hunted and trapped by Native Americans, and later by French trappers. In 1813, a group of men, women and children found shelter at Cedar Point. They had traveled across the frozen lake from the northwest, escaping the River Raisin Massacre in Michigan.
Later a cabin was built near the end of the point by Ol' Joe Chevalier - a fur and whiskey trader. His cabin was a magnet to many in the growing local population. In 1882, the Cedar Point Shooting Club acquired the land. On the site of Ol' Joe's Cabin, they built a large clubhouse and managed the marsh for hunting waterfowl.
During the 1950's, President Eisenhower hunted here as a guest of one of the members. In 1964, the property was donated to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
|- Back -|