National Wildlife Refuge
|P.O. Box 276
Maxwell, NM 87728
Phone Number: 575-375-2331
|Visit the Refuge's Web Site:
|Common scenes at Maxwell NWR.|
Continued . . . Apache, Navajo, and Pueblo Indians crossed the plains in search of food and trade goods but did not create permanent settlements here.
Communities of Spanish and Mexican farmers and cattleman appeared around 1800, which were eventually integrated with European settlers with the eastern United States.
The purchase of these private lands for the creation of Maxwell NWR began in 1966 under the Migratory Bird Conservation Act. Concentrations of migrating birds, particularly geese, in the Central Flyway were creating intense crop depredation problems in some areas. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service began purchasing scattered tracts of land to provide waterfowl habitat in a broad area to better distribute migrating birds and alleviate crop depredation problems, thereby creating Maxwell National Wildlife Refuge.
|- Back - |