U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Logo U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
 

2005 "Volunteers Working With Invasives"
Grants Report Form


Display Report


PROJECT BACKGROUND INFORMATION



Project Title: Experimental treatment effects on the invasive Lon
Region: 5
Station: Eastern Shore of Virginia NWR - 51650
Contact Person:
Name and Phone Number
Robert J. Leffel 757-331-2760
Project Description:
(Up to 250 words)
Grant funds were used to conduct initial invasive plant species control in Management Unit 5, (MU 5), a 25 acre section of the ESVNWR. This MU was selected for a three year study, designed by Dr. Donald Young of Virginia Commonwealth University and refuge staff, on different invasive species management techniques. To begin the study, MU 5 was inventoried and then mowed, herbicided, and burned. A post-treatment inventory was conducted three months later. The three year research project itself, (not funded by the grant), entails the treating of test plots, within MU 5, with different combinations of chemical and mechanical treatments to control invasive species. In addition, in the last year of the study, the effectiveness of replanting with native species will also be studied. Twelve 30 X 30 meter test plots were established and are being monitored by Virginia Commonwealth University.
List of Invasives Species Targeted:Common NameScientific Name
  Japanese honeysuckle Lonicera japonica
Sweet fennel Foeniculum vulgare
Project Status: Completed
Project Completion Date
or Estimated Completion Date:
  (mm/dd/yyyy)
09/30/2005


VOLUNTEER INFORMATION

Volunteer Affiliation:
(Check all that apply)
                                VA_Other
Volunteer Involvement:
Describe the type of work the volunteers performed. (Up to 150 words)
Two volunteers were used for this project. The first volunteer, a refuge Workamper, applied the initial herbicide treatment to the MU and also helped by mowing the test plots that required additional mowings. The second volunteer, an intern, produced a kiosk panel that will help the refuge interpret the site and raise awareness of the problem of invasive species.
Total Number of Volunteers: 2
Total Number of Volunteer Hours: 40
Partnerships:
List both new and existing partnerships utilized in this project. (Up to 150 words).
N/A


PROJECT RESULTS

Project Results:
Give an overview of the results of the project. Include quantifiable measure of success, such as maps produced, efficacy of control measures, number of sites where invasions were detected early and responded to, number of community contacts, etc. (Up to 250 words).
Pre-treatment survey showed the predominant ground cover to be Sweet Fennel and Japanese Honeysuckle. These two invasive species equally covered approximately 20 acres of the 25 acre Management Unit, MU, or 80%. The remaining 20% of the MU was comprised of pines  4%, grasses  4%, and Bayberry  12%. After treatment and a three month growing season a post-treatment survey was conducted. The Sweet Fennel and Japanese Honeysuckle appear to have been replaced by Pokeberry  28%, Foxtail grasses  16%, Winged Sumac  16%, Jimson weed  8%, Goldenrod  8%, and Dog Fennel  8%. The Bayberry and pines remained at 12% and 4% respectively. An additional post-treatment survey will be conducted in one year to see if this more native community continues to flourish or if the invasives return. An informational panel on invasives has been designed and will be on display at a kiosk, adjacent to the Management Unit, located at the trail head of our Wildlife Trail. The emphasis of this panel is what FWS, as landowners, and our partners and volunteers are doing to control invasives. Another volunteer is in the process of designing an activity box to loan to local teachers on invasive species. This activity box will hopefully aid teachers in educating local students on the perils of invasive species.
Number of Acres Treated: 25
Number of Acres Inventoried and/or Mapped: 25
Number of Acres Restored: N/A Restoration not planned until Fall of 2006


BUDGET INFORMATION

Budget: Account for funds in broad categories such as equipment, volunteer stipends, travel, coordinator salary/contract, etc.

Total Grant Amount:

$ 1915


Breakdown of Expenditures:

Category

Total $ Spent
% of Total Grant
Equipment / Supplies 1097.88 57
Chemical 817.12 43
Biocontrol Agents
Travel
Volunteer Stipends
Volunteer Coordinator Salary/Contract
Restoration Materials
Other
TOTAL 1915 100


Recommendations: (OPTIONAL)
How useful was this program for meeting refuge invasive species objectives and how can it be improved?

 

- Return to Main Menu -