**** UPDATE 8/19/15**** Wetland conditions remain favorable throughout the refuge though we still anticipate some impacts to our fall flood up prior to the NE zone Youth opener. The youth hunt weekend will be September 26/27 this year. We have determined that the Grandma Tract will not be open for the Youth hunt due to water availability. Youth hunters that put in for the Grandma tract will have their applications put into the regular "free roam" draw. A final determination on the quota for the youth hunt will be made in early September. Please continue to check this web page and our facebook page (link available on home page of our website), or contact the Refuge Manager, Steve Clay, or Deputy Manager, Sean Cross, at 530-233-3572 for current conditions.
Important - Hunters must possess a valid California Junior hunting license to participate in the hunt. Up to four hunters may apply together as a party.
1. Use only standard Postal Service postcards (3.5" x 5.5").
2. Type or print clearly.
3. List the name and address for each person (up to 4) requesting permits. Zip codes must be correct.
4. Hunters must specify that the application is for the Junior Waterfow Hunt.
5. A parent or legal guardian must sign for each applicant and provide phone contact information.
6. Hunters wishing to hunt on the Grandma Tract (maximum quota of 20 hunters) should indicate this preference by writing Grandma Tract on their application. Applicants interested in hunting the Grandma Tract are strongly advised to contact the Refuge regarding status of the hunt units, as they vary from year to year.
7. Mail postcards to: Steve Clay, Refuge Manager, Modoc NWR, PO Box 1610, Alturas, CA 96101. Only cards received by September 4, 2015 will be accepted.
Any person whose name appears on more than one application will be excluded from the drawing, as will applications which are late, illegible or incomplete.
- Complete regulations and permits (free of charge) will be mailed to the hunters that are successful in the drawing. Unsuccessful hunters will not be notified. No standby lists will be maintained and "no shows" will not be re-filled.
- All refuge hunting regulations remain unchanged.
- Junior hunters must be accompanied by a non-hunting adult (18 years or older) with no more that two junior hunters per adult.
Hunters may contact Steve Clay, Refuge Manager, at the address above or call 530.233.3572 for further information.
Follow Us Online
Great horned owls are a year round resident of Modoc NWR, and can often be seen perched in cottonwoods or enjoying the shade under large sage brush.