Skip Navigation


Does and Fawn - Promo Intro - 512 x 219

Although there is no admission fee to visit Tensas River NWR, we ask everyone to carry a signed permit on their person and fill out an orange Daily Visitor Registration card.  State licenses are required for hunting and fishing.  Additional permitting requirements apply for the Lottery Modern Firearm Deer hunts.  See below for more information!

  • Refuge Access Permits

    Front of Public Use Brochure containing visitor use permit

    A general Refuge Access Permit is required for all activities on Tensas River NWR.  The permit is free and can be found on the front of the Public Use Regulations brochure, which can be obtained at all Refuge entry points, at the Visitor Center, and online.  For the permit to be valid, simply sign your name in the white box at the bottom of the page signifying that you have read and understand all of the regulations.  Permits are not transferable.

  • Daily Visitor Registration Permit

    Orange Card - Promo List - 150 x 118

    Each visitor is required to obtain a Daily Visitor Registration Permit upon entering the refuge.  Fill out the top portion, the Self-Clearing Check-In Permit, and drop it in one of the metal report boxes at refuge entry points.  The bottom tear-off portion is your Vehicle Permit that stays visible in the dashboard of your vehicle.  The largest portion in the middle needs to stay on your person with the front filled out while you are on the refuge.  At the completion of your visit, fill out the back and drop the card in a metal report box at refuge entry points.  Click here for more information on how to use these Daily Visitor Registration Permits.

  • Quota Modern Firearm Deer Hunt Permits

    Armando Hernaez with his doe

    In order to participate in one of Tensas River NWR's Quota Modern Firearm Deer hunts, you must apply online and be randomly drawn.  The 2015 application period will be open Monday, July 6 through Friday, September 4, 2015.  If you are drawn for the hunt, total permit cost is $20.00 ($12.50 permit fee for Tensas River NWR and $7.50 handling fee for Kinsail Corporation).  You may only apply for one hunt. Up to five people may apply together as a party; however, anyone found to have their name submitted more than one time will be disqualified.  If you have already applied, you can check the status of your application using the confirmation number that was provided for you.  For more information, please call Kinsail Corporation at 703-994-4194.

    2015 Lottery Hunt dates:  November 27-28 and December 12-13.

    Click here to apply online or check the status of your application.

  • ATV Permits

    ATV Trail - Promo - 150 x 118

    To assist with ATV trail maintenance, a $10.00 ATV user permit is required for ATV use on Tensas River NWR.  The permit is a sticker that must be permanently affixed to the left side of the gas tank.  ATVs are allowed on designated ATV trails from September 15 - January 31.  Permit sales for the 2015-2016 hunting season will start on September 1, 2015.  2015-2016 permits will only be valid from September 15, 2015 to January 31, 2016.  There are two methods available to you for purchasing your ATV permit.

    Online or By Mail:  ATV permits may be purchased online through Kinsail Corporation.  If ordering online, permits will be shipped directly to the address you specify.  When ordering online, you are responsible for paying a $5.95 shipping and handling fee in addition to the $10.00 ATV permit fee, for a total of $15.95.  Please allow at least two weeks for processing and shipping!!  Click here to purchase your ATV permits online.

    ATV permits may also be purchased via mail.  For more information, please call Kinsail Corporation at 713-994-4194.

    In Person at the Visitor Center:  ATV permits may also be purchased in person at the Visitor Center.  The Tensas River NWR Visitor Center at 2312 Quebec Road, Tallulah, LA 71282 will NO LONGER ACCEPT any ATV permit requests by mail.  To purchase ATV permits in person, simply come to the Visitor Center during regular office hours.  Only cashiers checks or money orders made payable to US Fish and Wildlife Service will be accepted.  No cash or personal checks will be accepted.  More information on ATV permits is available in our Public Use Regulations brochure.


Page Photo Credits — White-tailed deer does and fawn - USFWS, Armando Hernaez with his doe - John Dickson/USFWS, ATV Trail - USFWS
Last Updated: Jun 30, 2015
Return to main navigation