The Complex has four popular photography blinds.
Blinds are AVAILABLE BY RESERVATION ONLY from mid-October through March.....
- Blind #1 at Sacramento NWR
- Blind #2 at Sacramento NWR
- Blind #3 at Colusa NWR
- Blind #4 at Delevan NWR
- See photos of all blinds
The Colusa NWR photo blind (#3) is scheduled to have water through July 2015 and thus provide photography opportunities this spring and summer. Wood duck nest boxes have been placed adjacent to the photo blind to attract wood ducks. Typically from April-July, photographers have the opportunity to photograph wood ducks, mallards, cinnamon teal, and gadwall. Male ducks molt in May-June and ducklings typically are present in May-July.
Read the summer guidelines (pdf). Availability is on a first-come, first-serve basis from April - July. Applicants should contact the refuge manager within a few weeks of when you would like to use it. Users must pay the $15 fee within 1 week of using the photo blind. The photographer's guidelines listed below should be read for more details. All users must fill out the evaluation in the folder. To reserve the blind or for additional information, contact Refuge Manager Mike Peters at 530-458-2666, 530-510-0377, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reservation Process (Oct-March Use):
1. Read the Photographer's Guidelines (2014-2015 version) for specific information on reservations, fees, access, and descriptions.
2. Fill out the Reservation Form (must read the Photographer's Guidelines first). If you do not have Adobe-editing software, please print the reservation form, fill it out, then return via mail, scan, email, or fax.
3. Reservation Applications must be received between Aug 1 - Aug 31. A lottery will take place in mid-September.
4. Applicants will be notified by e-mail or phone in mid-September. A $15 fee for each reservation must be paid by October 15 to confirm blind date selection.
5. Following the completion of the first lottery, a List of Remaining Open Photo Blinds will be posted here, and you may follow the application process again beginning October 1.
Sometimes photography blinds become available due to lack of reservation or cancellation. You may apply on a first-come, first-served basis by calling Sacramento NWR Complex (530-934-2801) or emailing email@example.com and placing your name, phone number and email address on a wait-list. Due to the lag time it takes to fill blinds, there is a limit to the number of names on the wait-list.