History of McKay Creek Refuge & Dam
McKay Creek is named for Dr. William C. McKay, who was an early settler in the Pendleton area. He settled near the mouth of McKay Creek about 1851; at the time, the place was called Houtama. Dr. McKay died in Pendleton in 1893. The dam and reservoir, in turn, are named for the creek.