Skip Navigation

A History of Trapper Joe Cabin


HISTORY: Trapper Joe Cabin was constructed during the summer of 1950 by J. Lignurgaris, to replace his old trapping cabin constructed many years prior; the original cabin probably pre-dated the Moose Range. Mr. Lignurgaris was known as a trapper of good reputation, who observed all game regulations. If you have information, photographs or stories regarding this cabin, (or any other cabins) please contact the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge.

NARRATIVE DESCRIPTION: Trapper Joe cabin is a one-story log cabin consisting of a single rectangular room. The cabin is located within the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge on the shores of Trapper Joe Lake. The Trapper Joe cabin condition is classified as standing "fair" with very little alteration since construction.The Trapper Joe cabin is built of spruce logs cut in the area by ax and crosscut saw. The cabin is approximately 19 feet from the lakeshore. 

The foundation of the cabin consists of sill logs placed directly on the ground without a prepared foundation. The outside dimensions of the single room cabin are 12 feet, 8 inches wide by 14 feet long. The two-sided spruce logs have been peeled of all bark. The logs average 7 inches at the butt end and 5 ½ inches at the tip. The cabin is chinked with native moss and split chinking. The logs are interlocked with a double notch. The facade and east elevations have 16 courses of logs and the north and south elevation have 9 courses of logs, all set horizontally. 

Last Updated: Jul 02, 2012
Return to main navigation