2016 YCC Summer Employment Opportunity
The Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge is sponsoring a summer Youth Conservation Corps Team. Applications will be accepted through June 3,2016.
The Youth Conservation Corps is a federally funded work-learn-earn program aimed at developing an appreciation and understanding of the Nation’s environmental and natural heritage. The program is six weeks long. The program will run from June 27 through August 4,2016. Team members and leaders are expected to be available for participation for the entire program.
- The team will consist of a team leader, an assistant leader, and 4 youth members.
- The leader must be 25 years of age or older, completed two or more years of college, have a current driver's license, and pass a background check.
- The assistant leader must be 19 years of age or older, have a current driver's license, and pass a background check.
- The youth members must be between the ages of 15 and 18 years (must be 15 by June 27, 2016 and not of age 19 before the end of the program).
- Everyone will be expect to be available for work 32 hours per week, Monday through Thursday, 8:00am- 4:30pm.
- Download a summary of dates, positions, pay here.
- This is not a summer camp! Projects include grounds maintenance, trail building, controlling invasive species, and assisting with wildlife surveys. Special environmental awareness activities are incorporated into the work schedule.
A strong interest in the outdoors and natural resources management is recommended. Participants will do hard physical work and may be exposed to insects, poison oak and ivy, adverse weather, and difficult working conditions.
Applicants must be able to provide their own transportation to and from work. Public transportation is not available.
For additional information about the refuge and the YCC program, call (757) 986-3705. The office is open Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS June 3, 2016
Hiring will be through the Chesapeake Volunteers in Youth Services. Download the application here, complete, and mail to or
bring by the refuge office, 3100 Desert Road, Suffolk VA 23434. The completed application can also be emailed to the YCC Cooridinator at
Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge
3100 Desert Road
Suffolk, Virginia 23434