Seasons of Wildlife
Illinois River Refuges Complex Bird List
Click here to download a list of birds found on the Illinois River Refuges
Bird Counts on the Illinois River Refuges Complex
- Chautauqua Refuge: The best census information on bird use
of Chautauqua Refuge is provided by volunteers Dr. Richard and Sigurd Bjorklund.
The Bjorklunds have conducted waterbird surveys for the refuge since March 1996. The
Bjorklunds conduct a complete count of wading birds, shorebirds, waterfowl, and
raptors from an established census route around the refuge. Refuge staff tries to post census results as soon as possible. Censuses are generally performed every other Friday as schedules permit.
- Click here to download the weekly bird survey of Chautauqua
- Meredosia Refuge: Refuge staff conducts a survey of all
birds on a regular basis at Meredosia Refuge. These data will be posted on the
refuge website as reports are received, and can be found at www.fws.gov/refuge/meredosia/seasons_of_wildlife/index.html.
- Emiquon Refuge: Refuge staff conducts point counts of bird
use on a regular basis at Emiquon Refuge. Weekly counts will be performed
through breeding season and monthly throughout the rest of the year. These data
will be posted on the refuge website as reports are received, and can be found
- Refuge staff and other volunteers make casual, irregular observations that
may be posted as notes on the website. If you have an observation to report,
email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: Nov 21, 2013