Red-cockaded Woodpecker Symposia Information
The first Red-cockaded Woodpecker Symposium was held May 26-27, 1971 at Okefenokee National Wildlife Reguge in Folkston, Georgia. It was sponsored by the Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife of the U.S. Department of the Interior in cooperation with Tall Timbers Research Station in Tallahassee, Florida.
The Red-cockaded Woodpecker Symposium II was held January 27-29, 1983 in Panama City, Florida and was cosponsored by the Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission, Gulf Coast Community College, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and U.S. Forest Servcie.
The Red-cockaded Woodpecker Symposium III was held January 24-28, 1993 in North Charleston, South Carolina. Primary organizers and cosponsors of the symposium were the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; Center for Applied Studies, College of Forestry, Stephen F. Austin State University; and the U.S. Forest Service, Southern Research Station. There were 310 registered participants.
The Red-cockaded Woodpecker Symposium IV was held January 27-31, 2003 in Savannah, Georgia. There were 342 registered participants. A total of 32 cosponsors contributed $53,000 for the event:
- A.F.A.B., Inc.
- American Forest and Paper Association
- DeLotelle and Gutherie, Inc.
- Disney's Animal Kingdom
- Fuhrman Diversified, Inc.
- Gerorgia Department of Natural Resources
- Georgia Power, Savannah Electric and Southern Company
- International Paper
- Dr. J.H. Carter, III Associates, Inc.
- Joseph W. Jones Ecological Research Center
- Marine Corps Base Camp Lejenue
- Milliken Forestry Company, Inc.
- National Council for Air and Stream Improvement, Inc.
- Norfolk Southern Railroad
- Plum Creek
- Raven Environmental Services, Inc.
- Sabine & Waters
- Sandhills Ecological Institute, Inc.
- Sandpiper Technologies, Inc.
- Stan Addis - Inserts, Inc.
- Tall Timbers Research Stations
- Temple-Inland Forest Products Corporation
- The Conservation Fund
- The Longleaf Alliance
- The Nature Conservancy
- U.S. Army Environmental Research Development Center
- U.S. Army Forces Command (FORSCOM)
- U.S. Forest Service Southern Region
- U.S. Forest Service Southern Research Station (Asheville, NC; Clemson, SC; Nacogdoches, TX)
- Wildlife Investigations, LLC