FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE
SUBJECT: Executive Order 12962 - Recreational Fisheries
A. PURPOSE: To conserve, restore and enhance aquatic systems to provide for increased recreational fishing opportunities nationwide.
B. PRIMARY PROVISIONS:
1. Federal Agencies shall, to the extent permitted by law and where practicable, and in cooperation with States and Tribes, improve the quantity, function, sustainable productivity, and distribution of U.S. aquatic resources for increased recreational fishing opportunities.
2. A National Recreation Fisheries Coordination Council is established, consisting of seven members from the Departments of the Interior, Commerce, Agriculture, Energy, Transportation and Defense and the Environmental Protection Agency. The representatives from the Departments of Commerce and the Interior will co-chair the Coordination Council.
3. The Coordination Council, in cooperation and consultation with others, will develop a comprehensive Recreational Fishery Resources Conservation Plan setting forth a 5-year agenda for Federal agencies.
4. All Federal agencies will aggressively work to identify and minimize conflicts between recreational fisheries and their respective responsibilities under the Endangered Species Act. The Fish and Wildlife Service and the National Marine Fisheries Service will develop a joint agency policy towards this end.
5. The role of the Sport Fishing and Boating Partnership Council will be expanded to assist in the implementation of the Order.
C. INCORPORATION: In order to assure that the provisions of the Executive Order (Appendix) are known throughout the Service, it is hereby incorporated in the National Policy Issuance system. The Executive Order was signed by the President on June 7, 1995.
Deputy Director - Staff