Small Business and Other Small Entities
Division of Policy and Directives Management
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service does not provide or administer hunting or fishing permits.
For links to State-specific permit processes for hunting and fishing, see:
International Export/Import
If you want information on how to obtain a permit, including an international import/export permit, or if you have a question or concern about a permit or the permit process, visit the FWS Permit website at:
For general permit questions (non export/import-related), e-mail
For import/export permits questions, e-mail
Links to export/import permit categories, including printable permit forms and fact sheets:
Import/export license application:
Designated port exception permit application:
Wildlife Inspectors/Ports Directory:
Export (moving plants or wildlife out of the United States):
Import (Importing plants or animals into the United States. Please note that not all species listed under CITES or ESA require an import permit):
Pet Birds (import and export your pet birds):
Sport-hunted trophies (Authorization to import a sport-hunted trophy into the United States):
Reissuance/Renewal of permits:
Antiques (import and export antiques, Pre-Endangered Species Act, or Pre- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES), including ivory):
A specimen of a species that is “Pre-Act” was made and/or obtained prior to the species being listed under the U.S. Endangered Species Act and has not been involved in a commercial transaction since that time. A specimen of a species that is “Pre-CITES” was made and/or obtained prior to the species being protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.
Birds (importing birds under the Wild Bird Conservation Act (WBCA)):
Bringing game birds home from Canada:
Scientific and Museum (import and export scientific and museum specimens):
Plants (Import or export of plants):
Traveling Animal Exhibitions and Circuses: To import or export traveling animal exhibitions and circuses, see
Marine Mammals and Fish: To import, export, or display marine mammals, and to collect species in international waters (introduction from the sea/CITES), see
Injurious Wildlife: To move, including importing or exporting, animals that are considered to be potential causes of health impacts to human beings, wildlife, or natural resources (agriculture, horticulture, and forestry), see
CITES Export/Re-Export permit application for the export of skins/products of six native species (bobcat, lynx, river otter, Alaskan gray wolf, Alaskan brown bear, and American alligator):
Directory of CITES or CITES-equivalent Permit Issuing (Management) Authorities and Scientific Authorities:
CITES Permits and Certificates factsheet:
Facts about Federal Wildlife Laws—Guide to Federal laws on importing, exporting, trading, and selling wildlife and wildlife parts and products, for tourists, hunters, educators, importers, and exporters in foreign countries:
Importing/Exporting—Factsheets on specific species:
How to Import/Export Your Commercial Wildlife Shipment:
Transporting animals (wildlife): or
Captive-Bred Wildlife
Captive-Bred Wildlife (CBW) –For information on registering your facility under the CBW registration program, which allows qualified individuals who are breeding non-native animals listed under the ESA to conduct authorized activity within the United States, see
Hunting, International
See permits, international import, above.
Hunting/Fishing, Domestic
FWS does not provide or administer hunting or fishing permits. For links to State-specific permit processes for hunting and fishing, see:
For Fish and Wildlife Management Offices in States, Territories, and Tribal Areas, see
Information on hunting regulations, conservation, and other links:
Information on fishing regulations and other links:
Obtaining or renewing a hunting or fishing license (this is done through through State natural resource agencies):
Dove Hunting and Baiting Regulations: 

Waterfowl Hunting and Baiting Regulations:

Hunting Rights, Native Americans and Alaska Natives
National Eagle Repository:
Hunting and Use of Polar Bear by Alaska Natives Fact Sheet:
For other questions related to laws pertaining to Native Americans’ harvest or hunting rights, contact the Bureau of Indian Affairs:
Hunting, Migratory Birds/Duck Stamp
Hunting of migratory game birds is administered through an annual regulatory process that establishes requirements such as open seasons and bag limits. If you want to hunt migratory game birds, or if you have a question or concern about hunting birds, visit the Division of Migratory Bird Management's Migratory Bird Hunting Regulations website:

If you want to get a Duck Stamp, go to

Non-hunting Activities with Migratory Birds
Migratory Bird Permits are available for Import/Export, Scientific Collecting, Taxidermy, Waterfowl Sale and Disposal, Game Bird Propagation, Rehabilitation, Education, Eagle Exhibition, Falconry, Raptor Propagation, Depredation Control, Special Canada Goose Permits, Indian Religious Purposes (Eagles), Eagle Falconry, Eagle Depredation Control, Eagle Transport. For information about these permits, see

--At this site you can find the appropriate form and find the address of your regional permit office, to which you must mail the form. You can also find your regional permit office's address, phone number, and e-mail address at:

If you still have questions, e-mail

Return to FWS Small Business Home Page

Last updated: January 15, 2013

PDM Websites: Centralized Library of Servicewide Policies | FWS Forms | FWS FOIA | PDM Services

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Home Page | Department of the Interior  |  | About the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service  | Accessibility  | Privacy  | Notices  | Disclaimer  | FOIA


U S Fish and Wildlife Service