Migratory Birds & Habitat Programs
Pacific Region


The Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act are laws which protects native birds, similar to how the Endangered Species Act protects threatened and endangered species. The regulatory definition of a migratory bird is much broader than what most of us consider a migratory bird and includes almost all bird species native to the United States.

Under these Acts, unauthorized injury, killing, possession, or selling of live or dead migratory birds is against the law. Part of the role of the Migratory Birds & Habitat Program is to issue permits which authorizes individuals or organizations to kill or possess birds for certain activities and purposes. These include bird conservation activities such as scientific research, education, and rehabilitation as well as helping reduce conflict or damage by birds.


Know What Permit You Need?

Jump straight to that page ...

Canada Goose Egg Registration
Eagle Indian Religious
Non-Eagle Indian Religious
Import and/or Export
Scientific Collecting
Education - Migratory Birds
Education - Eagle Exhibition
Falconry - Raptor Propagation
Falconry - Abatement
Game Bird Possession
Waterfowl Sale & Disposal
Annual Reports
Other Forms

More Information For:

Eagles and Renewable Energy - Information regarding eagles and the current guidance for development of renewable energy.

Conflict and Damage – Migratory Birds can cause problems relating to health and human safety, loss of agricultural crops, or damage to public or private property.

Native Americans – Members of Federally Recognized Tribes may apply to receive eagle feathers and parts for religious purposes. Non-Eagle parts are also available through the Non-Eagle Repository Pilot Program.

Falconers – If you are a falconer, propagator, or conducting abatement activities, this should help answer your questions.

Scientists and Museums – There are many types of permits necessary for those who are conducting research or collecting for museum purposes. Let us help you determine which permit best suits your needs … or if you even need a permit at all!

Educators – For those who possess live birds or dead specimens for conservation education.

Rehabilitators – Only federally permitted rehabilitators can accept and care for injured birds.

Waterfowl/Game Birds – Captive-bred waterfowl and game birds are popular migratory birds that may be kept by individuals.

Taxidermists – All you ever wanted to know about migratory bird taxidermy.

Essential Links:

10.13 List - which bird species are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act

MBTA - the Migratory Bird Treaty Act

BGEPA - the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act

General Provisions - Rules governing all U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service permits

Bird Banding Lab - if you are banding birds (or would like to report a band recovery or marked bird)

State Offices - Most states have additional permits, here are the links for Hawaii, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington




Can’t find what you need?  Have a recommendation for information that would be helpful on this page?  We appreciate your feedback.

Last updated: June 5, 2014

Migratory Birds & Habitat Programs Home
Pacific Region Home

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Home Page | Department of the Interior  | USA.gov  | About the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service  | Accessibility  | Privacy  | Notices  | Disclaimer  | FOIA