Skip Navigation

Waterfowl Sale and Disposal Permit

A Federal Waterfowl Sale and Disposal Permit is required to sell or otherwise dispose of migratory waterfowl. A permit is not required to have captive-bred migratory waterfowl as long as it can be demonstrated that they are lawfully acquired. You may not keep wild waterfowl. For more information, please see our Captive-bred Frequently Asked Questions.

Application Processing Fee: $75
Amendment Fee: none
Duration Valid: 5 years
Annual Report Required: Yearly (January 31)
State Permit Requirement: yes - Hawaii, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington
Governing Regulations: 50 CFR ยง21.25

Pacific Region Application Check List
Application Form
Notice of Transfer or Sale of Migratory Waterfowl
Annual Report

Disclaimer: Please print this page for your records. This website is a "plain English" guide to Migratory Birds and Migratory Bird Permitting. It is not meant to cover every Migratory Bird situation or all of the details of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and associated Policies. While every attempt is made to ensure the information is up-to-date and accurate, the USFWS is not responsible for misinformation. Furthermore, this website is not intended to replace the advice of USFWS employees. It is intended to give a basic framework and help in your everyday Migratory Bird questions. Changes in Migratory Bird rules occur regularly and often quickly. If you have a Migratory Bird question, you should contact an appropriate USFWS employee and provide him or her with all the relevant facts before taking action.


Last Updated: March 17, 2015
Return to main navigation