Skip Navigation

Salvage Permit

A Federal Salvage Permit allows dead migratory birds, bird parts, abandoned nests, and nonviable eggs to be taken from the wild for wildlife conservation education purposes. The purpose of this permit is to allow legal acquisition of wild specimens to be donated to educational facilities. If you have questions about salvage permits, please see our Education Frequently Asked Questions. If you would like to salvage birds to be used-in or while-conducting scientific research, please apply for a Scientific Collecting Permit. If you would like to salvage birds related to energy infrastructure, please apply for a Special Purpose Utility Permit using the Miscellaneous application form.

Application Processing Fee: $75
Amendment Fee: none
Duration Valid: 3 years
Annual Report Requirements: Yearly (January 31)
State Permit Requirement: yes
Governing Regulations: 50 CFR ยง21.27

Pacific Region Application Check List
Application Form
Special Purpose Salvage Annual Report

Disclaimer: Please print this page for your records. This website is a "plain English" guide to Migratory Birds and Migratory Bird Permitting. It is not meant to cover every Migratory Bird situation or all of the details of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and associated Policies. While every attempt is made to ensure the information is up-to-date and accurate, the USFWS is not responsible for misinformation. Furthermore, this website is not intended to replace the advice of USFWS employees. It is intended to give a basic framework and help in your everyday Migratory Bird questions. Changes in Migratory Bird rules occur regularly and often quickly. If you have a Migratory Bird question, you should contact an appropriate USFWS employee and provide him or her with all the relevant facts before taking action.


Last Updated: March 17, 2015
Return to main navigation